Happy February! Only 37 more days until SPRING!! One of my favorite season for so many reasons but mostly the start of new life… Everything comes out of hibernation, color reappears, flowers bud, grass turns green, animals awaken, people emerge from indoors, park become filled with laughing kids and baseball games. Just thinking about it makes me feel happy!
February is also heart month. A time to bring awareness to the connection between Diabetes and Heart Disease.
Here are some facts from the CDC…
- Heart Disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States
- If you have diabetes, you’re twice as likely to have heart disease or a stroke than someone who doesn’t have diabetes and at a younger age
- The longer you have diabetes, the more likely you are to have heart disease and heart failure
- High blood sugar can damage blood vessels and nerves that control your heart
- People with diabetes are more likely to have other conditions that raise the risk for heart disease
Risk factors for Heart Disease include:
- High blood pressure
- High LDL “bad” cholesterol, high triglycerides
- Being overweight or obese
- Lack regular physical activity
- Eating a diet high in saturated “bad” fat, trans fat, cholesterol, and salt
- Excessive alcohol
Taking care of your heart begins with awareness. Check this list, are you at risk? if so, take the next step and be proactive.
Here are some tips to get you started…
- Have your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol checked
- Lose 7% current body weight
- Follow a healthy eating pattern – more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy, lean protein, less processed foods, salt, sugar, saturated “bad” fats, watch portions
- Exercise 150″/week ( 30″ x 5 days/week, can break it down in 10″ increments 3x/day
- Stop smoking – many programs to help you, 1-800-QUIT-NOW
- Limit alcohol – men max 2 drinks/day, women 1 drink/day
- Manage stress
YOU ONLY HAVE ONE HEART AND ONE BODY… TIME TO TAKE CARE OF IT!!!
Spring into action today, feel more alive, improve your overall health, and significantly lower your risks of Heart Disease and Diabetes!
I am here to help you be successful and achieve your health goals. Individualized virtual 1:1 coaching, 8-week comprehensive Diabetes Prevention Course. Whatever works best for you.
Listen to how I recently helped Dave Tasto, Owner, Assisting Hands Home Care, Author, Thriving at Home, reverse his prediabetes… https://youtu.be/_oqsQU4ply0
If you are ready join me for my next 8 virtual Talk Me Healthy to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes Course starting Tuesday, March 9th, then weekly until April 27th from 5:00 to 6:30 PM EST.
Stay healthy!! Have a wonderful Valentine’s day and Holiday weekend!
Scherrie Keating RN, BSN, CDCES, CDC, NDPP Lifestyle Coach, CDP, Certified Ageless Grace Educator
Founder, Diabetes Kare Consulting, LLC
Creator, Diabetes Prevention for Life program