Happy almost November, one of my favorite months of the year for a few reasons. First, I LOVE the thanksgiving holiday…. the food, spending time with my family and starting my Christmas decorating. Second, November is National Diabetes Awareness Month and November 14th is World Diabetes Day.

National Diabetes Month is a time when communities across the country work together to bring attention to diabetes. This year’s focus is on taking care of youth who have diabetes. ((Stay tuned for more information in upcoming newsletter)

World Diabetes Day, led by the International Diabetes Federation, is Wednesday, November 14th. It is celebrated every year on this day because it marks the birthday of Frederick Banting, a physician who co-discovered insulin in 1922. The purpose of this one day is to raise awareness of Diabetes. This year’s focus is on promoting the role of nurses in the prevention and management of diabetes. (Stay tuned for more information in upcoming newsletter)

Diabetes is a chronic disease associated with abnormally high levels of the glucose (sugar) in the blood. There are many different types of Diabetes but the most common are Type 1 and Type 2.  Type 1 diabetes, previously known as juvenile diabetes, is a form of diabetes in which very little or no insulin is produced by the pancreas. Type 2 diabetes, previously known as adult-onset diabetes, is a form of diabetes that is caused by insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is the body’s inability to respond to insulin properly leading to elevated blood sugar. Approximately 5% of people with Diabetes have Type 1 and the other 90-95% have Type 2.

According to the CDC, 2020 National Diabetes Statistics Report, 34.2 MILLION Americans have Diabetes, and 88 MILLION American adults have prediabetes. The sad news Diabetes is now affecting our children!

Here are the facts…

  • 1 in 10 people have Diabetes, 1 in 5 are unaware
  • 1 in 3 people have prediabetes, 8 out of 10 are unaware
  • 1 in 5 adolescents, 1 in 4 young adults have prediabetes
  • Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, lower limb amputations and adult onset blindness

The GOOD News is…

  • Type 2 Diabetes is PREVENTABLE through simple, proven lifestyle changes
  • Those living with Type 2 Diabetes can learn to manage their blood sugars through daily self-management behaviors, lower their risks of complications and live longer and healthier

I am on a mission to increase awareness, offer screening and Diabetes prevention and management education. Won’t you join me?? 

During the month of November attend one or all 3 of my live webinars. Learn about prediabetes, how to manage Type 2 Diabetes day to day and the potential complications of having uncontrolled blood sugar. Then turn that education into ACTION and share what you learned with EVERYONE you know. The time is NOW, with the Covid numbers increasing, we need to act today!! Remember, one person can make a difference in this world but together we can make a difference in the lives of millions!!!!

Click the link to learn more or to register for November live webinars.  https://diabetes-kare-consulting-school-of-education-060e.thinkific.com/

Interested in learning more about Diabetes, click link to receive Diabetes Tips Email Newsletter and Free Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Starter kit https://diabeteskareconsulting.com/prevent-diabetes-2/

Stay healthy!
Scherrie

Scherrie Keating RN, BSN, CDCES, CDC, NDPP Lifestyle Coach, CDP, Certified Ageless Grace Educator
Founder, Diabetes Kare Consulting, LLC
Creator, Diabetes Prevention for Life program
http://www.diabeteskareconsulting.com
Email: diabeteskareconsulting@gmail.com